Managing Multiple Brands
The management of multiple brands may be the most challenging of all scenarios. Each brand, whether new or existing, needs its role clearly defined, in relation to the others. An ill-defined brand hierarchy confuses audiences, while a clear hierarchy strengthens each brand’s market position. The need for brand extension may be driven by some of the following circumstances:
- Introduction of multiple products or services within a company
- Introduction of a multiple online presences
- Introduction of multiple autonomous subsidiaries
- Merger of multiple companies to be integrated
- Acquisition of multiple companies to be integrated
Some examples of extended brands include GE and its subsidiaries, National Football League and its franchises, and Coca-Cola and its products.